Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Knowlephobia

Sometimes I’m afraid of knowledge. Why? Because knowledge is power and knowledge is responsibility. When I am a person with knowledge, I am accountable for what I do with that information. So sometimes, I avoid knowledge.

If Knowledge knocks at my door and I turn her away, I am a fool. If Knowledge knocks and I don’t answer, I am weak, without courage, without a backbone.

But if I answer Knowledge and hear her out, than I add something more to myself, I become something greater, I now have the potential for power. But power comes only with action, and I am now left with the burden of choice: do I act, or do I stay silent and still. If I act, and act rightly, I have potential to help someone, and maybe I’ll become a hero. If I act and act wrongly, I have the potential to hurt someone, and maybe I’ll become an enemy. If I don’t act at all, I am a fool and as good as dead.

So what do I know? I know that as I consume my evening meal and throw away the scraps to eat dessert, X number of children starve to death. I know that the same amount of money I spend on a new outfit could sustain a persons life another year. I know that as an American, I have the potential to climb to a position of influence and power and affect governments and stop senseless killing.

With the knowledge I have, what will I do? Will I turn my eyes away from these things and use my potential and resources to add all kinds of luxuries and comforts to my life? Will I return the gaze of children bloated bellies, teenagers forced into the sex-trade, villagers being pillaged and murdered because of their blood and say “I will fight for you! I will use my knowledge and the power that comes with that, my situation in life and my courage and I will save your life too!”

If I do not, call me a coward and a fool.

No comments: